Making a laptop/iPhone stylus
I made a stylus that works on laptops and an iPhone for less than a dollar and a watch battery. Read for instructions.
- A small watch battery (LR41 is what I used)
- A pen (a pencil can be used but is not recommended)
“Optional” materials (may not work on your touchpad without these)
- Wire strippers
1. Put tape around the end of the pen, leaving approximately 3-4mm on the end. More than 4mm is okay, as you can cut it later.
2. Cut a piece of wire so that it is about 6 inches/15cm long. Strip About .8 inches/1.5cm off one end and about 1.5 inches/3cm off the other.
3. Insert the battery into the tape at the end of the pen, but do not push it in all the way. Leave about 1mm of space.
4. Insert the end of the wire with less insulation stripped of into the gap between the battery and the pen by piercing the tape with it.
5. Cut off the excess wire.
6. Bend the wire down and tape it in place.
7. Bend the other end of the wire around. (Note: The picture shown is of my pen, which I use in my left hand. If you’re right-handed, you’ll probably want to bend it the other way.)
8. Tape the loop down on both ends
Using the stylus:
Place your thumb on the exposed part of the wire and use like a normal stylus as shown: